Sunday, March 28, 2010

Safe and Sound in DC

Hi all- I arrived yesterday in DC/Arlington and am just busy settling in. We had a first meet and greet tonight and I met met some really nice folks-looks like a good batch for the 152nd (that's what we're called). Tomorrow is the first day at Main State, but it sounds more like an administrative day-benefits, photo for badge, rules etc. Biggest observations so far...
*4 inch heels are not compatible to brick sidewalks and Metro travel
*People still think it's funny to set alarm clocks to 3 a.m. in the 2nd bedroom
*I must look like a sucker as everyone is asking me for money-in fact tonight a guy on the Metro claiming to be a Marine who lost his wallet and needed help asked me for $150.00-a little much for pocket cash- although to my surprise a plain clothes Metro Cop interjected and took the guy-nice to know they are there!
*DC blocks are long-especially in 4 inch heels (can you tell my feet hurt!)
*I am a turtle
*There might be a chance that for all those years people claimed I was a bad driver they were right- wow 3 accidents barely avoided and one drive down a one-way during heavy traffic (always embarrassing) and it's only been 1 full day.
*Minnesota really is a clean place :-)

Miss you all-

Peace

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to DC! I saw some in your class this afternoon when I was at one of the tables you passed by while getting your badge and such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Digger- so far so good and such a great group!

    ReplyDelete
  3. K, so glad your safe and sound. Hope to see you in June

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lis- thanks! Miss you guys... I can't wait for you guys to be out here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still haven't heard an answer to why you are a turtle... Inquiring minds want to know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh for inquiring minds... a term of love given by my travel buddies on a packpacking trip in Europe- I'm apparently too slow with my pack compared to the speedy gonzales of the world and I've noticed I'm also slow without it compared to people in DC :-)

    ReplyDelete